Thursday, May 19, 2011

This Trip's Travel Books

I started thinking about the books I read during my trip and couldn't find a theme among them.  I guess my taste is eclectic... yep, that's definately the common thread...

1.  The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake- Aimee Bender (from Oprah's book list- the main character can taste the chef's emotions when she eats)

2.  Dark Star Safari, From Cairo to Cape Town- Paul Theroux (sincerely overlooks the positive attributes of Africa, but still describes it very well, and because I was in Africa at the time, it captivated me)

3.  Mainly Fair Throughout the Kingdom- George McBean (set in Nepal, written by my friend's dad who wrote the book for his son, Fergus.  I thought it was incredibly sweet that a father would write a book for each of his grown children)

4.  Shantaram- Gregory David Roberts (an escaped con who sold the book as his own story with lots of embellishments and an intense love for "hearing himself write," but his early descriptions of India took me back)

5.  1984- George Orwell (I figured it was time to catch up on the constant references to mind control- what a crappy world to live in)

6.  What the Dog Saw- Malcolm Gladwell (I LOVE THIS BOOK!  The psychological case studies are so interesting and counter-intuitive)

No comments:

Post a Comment