Monday, April 11, 2011

Paragliding- Fethiye, Turkey

It was 4/5/11, a Tuesday, not that we cared. On a 5 month adventure, dates and days of the week have a way of escaping us. All we knew is that we were four months into our holiday with one month left to go, and today we would be paragliding from the highest commercial paragliding site in the world. It was going to be awesome.

We left Izmir at 7:30am on a Pamukkale bus bound for Fethiye. Seven hours later, we arrived and took a free shuttle to our Pension (a Turkish guesthouse) on the Mediterranean Sea. Yachts floated in the marina and yellow lemons filled the green trees. It was 2:50pm, and we hadn’t eaten all day (except for some breakfast zuchinni and egg stir fry- which we ate with toothpicks from a plastic baggie), so we were hungry. Mark suggested that before we eat, we check with the front desk staff to see about paragliding. All I wanted was food. The desk staff hung up the phone, “They’ll be here to pick you up in 10 minutes.” My heart sank. I was so hungry and this was all so rushed. We’d just arrived in town, and already we were rushing to paraglide, which I was looking forward to, but I was hungry and was about to miss out on the build-up of anticipation that I enjoy so much. Mark asked the hotel staff to call the paragliding company back to see if they could stop for lunch and an ATM on the way. They agreed. And so it was that we were whisked away in a old, white station wagon just 10 minutes later.

We careened through town and screeched to as stop in front of a small restaurant. We quickly ordered two lamb donor kebaps which we devoured in the backseat as we sped across the remainder of town. With food in my system, I started to feel better about the rush; after all, we were going paragliding, something I’d been looking forward to for quite awhile. At headquarters, we joined 2 Brits, 2 Aussies, 4 Saudis, and half a dozen or more Turks in the back of an open-air, parallel dual bench jeep with a mound of colorful parachute bags piled up above. We breezed up the mountain taking in spectacular views of evergreen trees scattered throughout purple mountains that reminded us of Ouray, Durango, and Glenwood Springs. Loggers dotted the gravel road that smelled like the cedar trees that lined its edges. The temperature dropped, and as we spotted snow, we were issued jumpsuits and helmets. Further up the mountain, we saw grey clouds at the peak.

When we reached the first launch pad, it was filled with chutes and people waiting in the midst of the grey clouds. We continued up to the second pad where we were outfitted with padded chairs that resembled giant diapers. Despite the grey cloud, the instructors went to work quickly spreading out the chutes and locking us into leg harnesses. Out of curiousity, I asked Harkim, my instructor, “So, how many times have you done this?” “This is my first time!” he joyfully replied. I laughed and said, “Mine too… yeah!” I kissed Mark with excitement and his instructor said, “Last kiss…” We laughed again. We weren’t scared. This was exciting. In front of us, the grey cloud quickly shifted to the side creating a sunny window. “3...2…1… Run!” Like a football player I pushed forward and felt the chute of resistance raise behind me. Exhilaration and joy filled my body as the chute picked us up off the cliff and I took in the valleys below me, the mountains to my sides. “Whooooooo hoooooooo!” I yelled as we floated on the wind.

We skirted the clouds, slowly gliding around the ridge toward the crystal clear turquoise Mediterranean Sea and Fethiye, my instructor’s home town, below. We could see clearly into the distance, though clouds covered the Greek islands far on the horizon. For 25 minutes we floated peacefully, sweeping occasionally from side to side. At one point, I saw a tandem glider doing spirals and told Harkim, “I bet that’s my husband.” It was. “Would you like to spiral?” “Yeah!” The rapid descention and G-forces tugged my stomach inward as I screamed in exhilaration. I laughed and screamed like it was the best roller coaster drop of my life- exciting and scary in a good way. I’m a self-admitted weenie when it comes to extreme sports, but for me, paragliding feels totally safe. After several spirals, Harkim tugged the lines, and we immediately returned to peaceful suspension, dangling in the air like we were born to soar with the birds.

After about 35 minutes, the pools and hotels below were magnified, and Harkim briefed me on the landing process. I was sad it was over, but moreso I was still on a high from the glide. By walking just three walking steps, we peacefully landed on the sandy beach. “That was so great! I’m so glad we did this!” I yelled to Mark. “I know! It was awesome!” “I want to do it again!” My only regret was that it was over. I think it was my favorite thing I’ve ever done. I just love paragliding, and from what I understand, Fethiye is the best place in the world to do it. Thank you, Fethiye!

No comments:

Post a Comment