Sunday, July 21, 2013

A Day in Peru is not Complete Without a Parade

Just as a day in Bolivia is not complete without a protest, a day in Peru is not complete without a parade. In many towns, we've stayed near the Plaza de Armas, which is basically a public park with statues and benches and flowers, and oftentimes fountains. One mid-morning in Cuzco, Mark and I were walking toward the plaza when we started to hear music and see crowds of colorfully dressed folks. We quickly realized we had walked into a parade of children. My heart absolutely melted. Their costumes were adorable. I quickly reached for my camera. I couldn't imagine what holiday would be celebrated with children in costumes, but whatever it was, I wanted it to happen everyday because it brought me so much joy. It was like Halloween, but with more history and culture. In inquired of one of the adults in the parade about what holiday was being celebrated, but she didn't know. I didn't really care what holiday it was as long as they kept the costumes coming. I later discovered it was something for children's education. The governor was there to promote the day, and the kids all got ice cream afterwards.
As if that wasn't wonderful enough, a few days later in Nazca, Mark and I were eating breakfast at a corner cafe when we heard marching band music down the street. A little boy from the restaurant quickly ran outside to see what was going on. It was another kid parade, this time complete with floats and cotton candy. What an unexpectedly fantastic way to start the day!


No comments:

Post a Comment