Friday, July 19, 2013

Traveling by Faith


Not everyone has what it takes to travel like a backpacker. I'm grateful that my best friend and I do. Mark and I have traveled together through Southeast India, Africa, the Middle East, Turkey, Canada, Mexico, and, most recently, South America. In some ways, it hasn't been easy. Over the past five years, we've lived like nomads. We've forgone the lifestyle that other people our age have embraced: starting our family, owning a home, maintaining a stable job with quality health insurance. In other ways, it has been easy. We've done it together, leaned on each other, and kept our eyes focused on pursuit of the goal and enjoyment in the journey. I believe that the thing that sets us apart from other people is living by faith. Anyone who knows me, knows that I crave stability in life; I am hemmed in on every side by anxiety, but when I fix my eyes on a goal, the love of that goal puts my fears to rest.
For me, traveling has been about letting go of my Type A tendencies and embracing my Type B personality. My Type B loves adventure, is willing to try new things, is open to change, and loves discovering the unexpected. She thrives on faith, the belief in things unseen, and delights in the the way God takes care of her every need. She leaves behind her jobs, the guarantee of stability, and waits on God to provide when she returns. Travel Annie knows how to enjoy life without trying to maneuver around it at every possible opportunity.
Regular Annie and Travel Annie have been duking it out over the past couple of months because Travel Mark has decided he's not ready to go home. Regular Annie wants to go home and get a stable job. Regular Annie recognizes that her return flight is just one month away and there's not enough money to stay for another semester. Regular Annie forgets how much fun Travel Annie is having in South America. Travel Annie thinks it's a great idea to stick around and volunteer for a few months. Regular Annie is on notice because she knows that money has never stopped Travel Annie and Mark from living their dreams. When there was no money, funds appeared for Africa, India, Southeast Asia, and South America. Even when it seemed unlikely, opportunities emerged. Love always finds a way.  I'm just not sure I'm in love with the idea of extending the trip, but because she loves her husband, Regular Annie is listening and wondering if Travel Annie will be extending her trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment