Friday, June 7, 2013

I'm Proud to Be From A Family of Givers



As I visited my family, I was struck again my their generosity. They're a family of givers. When I was young, regardless of where we were going or how late we already were, my dad would stop the car to help people who were in need of a tow or tire change. He fed people who were hungry and picked up hot coffee for the Salvation Army bell ringers. He gave us kids (along with our bazillion cousins) cash to visit the convenience store. My mom took my teachers out to lunch on the last day of school. My folks remodeled my grandparents living room and kitchen while they were away on vacation. My parents were always givers. Thus, it comes as no surprise that my family continues to give.
This visit to Sioux Falls, SD was a regular give-fest. My sister, Stacey, and my brother, Justin, drove 2-4 hours each way to visit Mark and I in Sioux Falls- not once, but twice. For graduation, my sister gave me a signed copy of a book from the positive energy guy, along with my favorite choco love salted almond bar. My brother, Justin, gifted me in Euros along with a hand-made necklace. My little brother, Christopher, wore the cash and booze graduation leis I made for him, and took time away from his work and studies each day to hang out together and take Ruger, his dog, to the park. My Mom and Dad loaded up the fridge with fruits and veggies for our visit. They lent us their vehicle so that we could put 866 miles on it. They even filled up the gas tank and sent us off with 3 coolers full of meat for Mark's grandparents in I'Falls. While we offered, and oftentimes insisted that we pay for a meal, my family treated us to Texas Steakhouse and Olive Garden. My sister gave me starter kits for Amish Friendship bread so that I could take gifts as we visited family in MN and Canada. My mom took the week off so that we could do fun things like the downtown art walk and Mama Ladas Enchiladas. My sister and brother-in-law made sure I kept it to a max of 5 lbs of vacation weight by initiating a daily 7 minute work out. And, my mom offered free daycare if we ever have children. Sioux Falls really would be a great place to raise kids, especially around such givers.


No comments:

Post a Comment