Monday, June 10, 2013

We Heard About the Steak

Argentina, like Brazil, has a reputation for loving steak. Naturally, we were excited to dive right in and taste what all the excitement was about. The bife was quite delicious, especially with a liter of Stella Artois (yes, a single serving of beer is apparently a liter, as in 1/2 of that huge jug of soda they sell for large groups of people) y una grande vaso de vino (tall glass of wine). On our first day in town, at this adorable little restaurant, we felt spoiled to have such a lovely meal.

We relaxed at our hostel until about 9pm, when I ventured out into the hostel lobby, in my pajamas, to use the wifi, check my email, and write a blog. Shortly thereafter, a crowd began to assemble around Mark and I. An Argentinian, visiting from his home in Miami, had recommended a steakhouse and a handful of folks were planning to go out to supper with him. Still full from our aforementioned feast, we politely declined the invitation but continued visiting with the assembling bunch of Mexican-Americans, Swiss, and a German. At 11:30pm, the crew was ready to hit the town for supper, so I put my pants back on and jumped in the taxi.
Hanging out in the hostel lobby:

At supper:
Beef chorizo with squash and mushroom cream sauce (plenty for two people to split):
Lejandro's fried lemon chicken with fried potatos and carrot with a side of heart-attack (the portion sizes here are out of control)
The next day, we had lamb, not the tiny little portions you get at Outback Steakhouse, but the kind of lamb that leaves you wondering how there are any sheep left on the planet. It went really nicely with a bottle of Malbec. Mark almost never drinks wine, but in Buenos Aires, Argentina, he helped me polish off the bottle.
Then, I started to feel fat, like it was too much of a good thing. Plus, this waist wallet adds 10lbs. It's supposed to be all thin and subtle, but my passport has this page extension and there's a wad of emergency cash that makes it look like I have an enormous fanny pack tucked into my waistline; it's just great for side angle photos. So, I decided to order a salad for brunch.

The salad was an ordering fail. Friends, do not assume, as I did, that a "salad" should have mixed greens. There were none in sight, just ham, canned pineapple, and candied cherries. Next time I'll stick with the beef, and another glass of wine.


No comments:

Post a Comment