Friday, June 7, 2013

Visiting in I'Falls, MN

When I was a kid, I thought visiting relatives was boring. I played outside while the grown ups sat around and talked. But, the older I get, the more I enjoy visiting. I haven't fully developed my visiting skills, so I marvel at the ease by which experienced grown ups "visit." How'd they get so good at hanging out, sitting on a couch, drinking coffee, talking about the weather and their families and their health and local happenings? How do they come up with things to talk about? How to start a visit, or revive one when it hits the awkward lull, is a big mystery to me. I don't have that "gift of gab" that seems to come so naturally to others. But, the more I visit, the better I'm getting at this now enjoyable activity.
I'Falls is a small town, but not small enough to have the kind of newspaper that talks about so-and-so visited so-and-so. But if it did, it would say, "During Mark and Annie's visit to International Falls, they visited and...
Baked friendship bread with Sylvia Heem
Walked at Vouagers National Park with Randy and Terry Shoberg
Rode bicycles together through Shorewood, Rainy River Community College, and I'Falls high school
Went to Smokey Bear park with Catie and the extended Shoberg clan
Did Zumba with Terry Shoberg
Enjoyed a BBQ in celebration of Grandma Julia Shoberg's birthday at Ken and Mary Shoberg's place
Drove ATVs at the cabin with Don and Julie Godfroy near the Little Fork River
Had the privilege of gardening with 96 year old Grandpa Morris and 92 year old Grandma Julia Shoberg



Played Mexican train dominoes with Don and Julie Godfroy and Brenda
Had a 3 hour lunch at Gordy's in Cloquet with Ron and Pauline Oja"
The newspaper article would conclude, "The visits were enjoyed by all."



No comments:

Post a Comment