Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Road Trip Through the Andes

Growing up, my family took a week long road trip/ family vacation every summer. We went to California, Georgia, Arizona, Vegas, New York... all over the U.S. I loved seeing the sites, but I hated sitting still, in a van, for so long. For me to experience a place, I have to get out and touch it, hike it, interact with it. Mark didn't really know this about me (I didn't even know this about me) until we went on our honeymoon, a road trip to several national parks. Now we both know. :-)
We wanted to see the Andes, but not from a bus window, so for three fantastic days, we splurged and rented a car. Although the days were long (read: too much sitting around and entirely not enough hiking), driving through the Andes was an incredible experience. The pictures don't do it justice. The 360 degree views were truly spectacular.
We had to dodge around the occasional rockslide.
Solar power!
Fancy horse accessories. If anyone knows what these are used for (besides decor), I'm curious to find out.
Taken from a self timer on the car. Got it on the second try.
We discovered the occasional town, where I got to walk around- yippie!
Mark was in photographer's heaven.

My favorite stop was the ampitheater. A gentleman was playing instruments that added to the existing ambiance of the place.
Plus, there were alpacas... and I do LOVE alpacas. If we had a bumper sticker on our vehicle, it would say, "This vehicle stops for alpacas."
I felt bad about accidentally eating their pal at this restaurant. FYI, lama meat isn't very tastey.
Every opportunity, I got out to do a happy dance, complete with skipping and jumping. Occasionally, I jumped too far, like the time I raced down the hill too fast and got stuck in the prickly bushes, but I didn't mind because I was experiencing nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment